Statistics at Defra
We publish national and official statistics relating to the environment, rural communities, food and farming.
- air quality and emissions statistics
- biodiversity and wildlife statistics
- encouraging business to manage their impact on the environment statistics
- environment key facts publication
- environmental protection expenditure survey
- natural environment statistics
- sustainable development indicators
- waste and recycling statistics
- digest of waste and resources statistics
- water quality and abstraction statistics
- funding for flooding and coastal erosion
- family food statistics
- food chain analysis
- food statistics pocketbook
- food transport indicators
- overseas trade
- sustainable food system indicators
- rural economy
- rural focus reports
- living in rural areas
- rural maps
- statistical digest of geographies
- statistical digest of rural England
Farm management statistics
- aggregate agricultural accounts
- farm business survey
- agricultural productivity and competitiveness analyses
- productivity of the agricultural industry
Commodities and farm-gate prices
- agricultural price indices
- animal feed production
- cattle, sheep and pig slaughter
- cereal usage and stocks
- commodity prices
- egg production and prices
- fruit and vegetable wholesale prices
- milk utilisation by dairies
- milk prices and composition
- poultry and poultry meat statistics
Land management and environmental issues
- agricultural statistics and climate change
- agri-environment indicators
- agri-environment analysis
- farm practices survey
- fertiliser usage
- land under environmental management
Land use and livestock
- animal on-farm welfare inspections
- bovine TB
- farm animal genetic resources
- horticultural statistics
- non-food crops
- orchard fruit
- organic farming
- structure of the agricultural industry
Statistics on the UK fishing industry and its operations, along with international comparisons, stock assessments and information on fish imports and exports, are available on the Marine Management Organisation’s sea fisheries statistics website.
Planned publication dates of all our national and official statistical releases for 12 months ahead can be found on the statistics release calendar.
‘Agriculture in the United Kingdom’ Seminar 2015
The twelfth annual “Agriculture in the United Kingdom‟ Seminar will be held at Nobel House, 17 Smith Square, London, SW1P 3JR on Tuesday 23rd June 2015 from 10:00hrs to 16:00hrs.
The theme of this year’s event is “Resilience in Agriculture”.
Guest speakers will include: Richard Soffe, Director of Rural Business, Duchey College; Graham Redman , Andersons Farm Business Consultants; Stephen Ramsden, Nottingham University; Jack Watts, Lead Analyst (Cereals and Oilseeds), Agriculture & Horticulture Development Board; Dr Sarah Jackson, Head of Strategic Engagement, Met. Office and Steve Langton, Agricultural Change and Environment Observatory Statistician, Defra.
Topics covered will include risk management, financial resilience and managing volatility, weather and climate risk in farming and succession training.
There will also be a question time session where you can put your questions to a panel of experts.
There is no charge for attending the seminar and a buffet lunch will be provided.
You can book your place by visiting www.eventbrite.co.uk.
GOV.UK offers the most recent statistics Defra has published. Our previous statistical releases are available on the National Archives.
Corporate procedures and standards
The UK Statistics Authority assess whether or not producers of official statistics have complied with the Code of Practice. Official statistics that have been assessed against the Code of Practice and found to be compliant with it can be designated as National Statistics. Reports of all assessments are published on the UK Statistics Authority website. We produce statistics in accordance with the statutory and other arrangements described in the document How National and Official Statistics are Assured. Details on how we do this are set out in the publications below.
Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs
17 Smith Square
Defra helpline: 03459 33 55 77 (open Mon to Fri: 8am - 6pm)