Statistics at Defra
We publish national and official statistics relating to the environment, rural communities, food and farming.
- air quality and emissions statistics
- biodiversity and wildlife statistics
- UK carbon footprint
- environment key facts publication
- environmental protection expenditure survey
- natural environment statistics
- sustainable development indicators
- waste and recycling statistics
- digest of waste and resources statistics
- water quality and abstraction statistics
- funding for flooding and coastal erosion
- family food statistics
- food chain analysis
- food statistics pocketbook
- food transport indicators
- overseas trade
- sustainable food system indicators
- rural urban classification
- rural economy - statistical indicators
- rural living – statistical indicators
- census rural analyses
- statistical digest of rural England
- agriculture in the United Kingdom
- agriculture in England regional profiles
- monthly farming and food brief
Farm management statistics
- aggregate agricultural accounts
- farm business survey
- agricultural productivity and competitiveness analyses
- productivity of the agricultural industry
Commodities and farm-gate prices
- agricultural price indices
- animal feed production
- cattle, sheep and pig slaughter
- cereal usage and stocks
- commodity prices
- egg production and prices
- fruit and vegetable wholesale prices
- milk utilisation by dairies
- milk prices and composition
- poultry and poultry meat statistics
Land management and environmental issues
- agricultural statistics and climate change
- agri-environment indicators
- agri-environment analysis
- farm practices survey
- fertiliser usage
- land under environmental management
Land use and livestock
- animal on-farm welfare inspections
- bovine TB
- farm animal genetic resources
- horticultural statistics
- non-food crops
- orchard fruit
- organic farming
- structure of the agricultural industry
Statistics on the UK fishing industry and its operations, along with international comparisons, stock assessments and information on fish imports and exports, are available on the Marine Management Organisation’s sea fisheries statistics website.
Consultation on a set of specific proposed changes to official statistics produced by the Defra group
The consultation, which ran from 25 Feb 2016 to 24 Mar 2016, invited views on a proposed set of specific changes to ‘Official Statistics’ produced across the Defra group.
The consultation has now concluded. The Summary of Responses was published on 4 November 2016.
We received 42 responses to this consultation. We are continuing to consider our proposals based on the feedback we received.
Planned publication dates of all national and official statistical releases produced across the Defra group can be found on the statistics release calendar by using the ‘Department’ filter.
A calendar of release dates for the year ahead, providing a split by month, is separately available here:
Defra statisticians’ statement of intent on the formats for statistical publications on GOV.UK from December 2015 and provision of machine readable datasets from April 2016:
‘Agriculture in the United Kingdom’ Seminar 2016
The thirteenth annual “Agriculture in the United Kingdom‟ seminar took place at Nobel House, 17 Smith Square, London SW1P 3JR on Monday 27th June 2016.
The theme of this year’s event was “Outlook for Agriculture” and featured a range of guest speakers.
For speaker presentations please click below;
GOV.UK offers the most recent statistics Defra has published. Our previous statistical releases are available on the National Archives.
Corporate procedures and standards
The UK Statistics Authority assess whether or not producers of official statistics have complied with the Code of Practice. Official statistics that have been assessed against the Code of Practice and found to be compliant with it can be designated as National Statistics. Reports of all assessments are published on the UK Statistics Authority website. We produce statistics in accordance with the statutory and other arrangements described in the document How National and Official Statistics are Assured. Details on how we do this are set out in the publications below.
Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs
17 Smith Square
Defra helpline: 03459 33 55 77 (open Mon to Fri: 8am - 6pm)