Equality and diversity
As a public body, we publish regular information about what our equality objectives are and how we're meeting them.
Our duties under the Equality Act 2010
Under the Equality Act 2010, Defra, has a duty to:
- eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- advance equality of opportunity
- foster good relations between groups of people regardless of their age, disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, ethnicity, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or marriage and civil partnership status
Defra’s strategic priorities focus on the following seven areas:
- improving declaration rates
- removing unconscious bias in recruitment and performance management
- improving career support
- promoting inclusive behaviours
- removing discrimination, bullying and harassment
- improving the process and delivery of workplace adjustments
- making sure our policies and programmes show due regard for equality, diversity and inclusion
Defra equality publications
We have published our equality objectives for 2012 to 2016. We review them regularly to make sure they are relevant and meet changing business and customer needs.
In advance of publication of Defra’s Public sector equality duty objectives for 2016 to 2020 and progress report; we have refreshed our equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) priorities in line with the revised Civil Service Talent Action Plan: Removing the barriers to success (2016).
An update on progress against each activity and our new equality objectives for 2016 to 2020 will be published later this year (2016).
The(PDF, 835KB, 25 pages) examines the diversity of our workforce and shows how we’re meeting our equality responsibilities. The report is published once a year. The 2016 workforce monitoring report will be published in early 2017.
Organisations we work with
Defra works with the following diversity organisations:
- Business Disability Forum (BDF)
- Employers Network for Equality and Inclusion (Enei)
Defra staff networks
The following Defra staff networks contribute towards our diversity goals:
- lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGB&T)
- disability (DISNET)
- black and ethnic minority (EMN)
- work-life balance
- break the stigma (mental health)
- parental leave buddy
- job share
- age (DEAN)
Diversity and Inclusion Team
17 Smith Square