What we do
We support the Prime Minister and ensure the effective running of government. We are also the corporate headquarters for government, in partnership with HM Treasury, and we take the lead in certain critical policy areas.
We have responsibility for:
- supporting collective government, helping to ensure the effective development, coordination and implementation of policy
- supporting the National Security Council and the Joint Intelligence Organisation, coordinating the government’s response to crises and managing the UK’s cyber security
- promoting efficiency and reform across government through innovation, better procurement and project management, and by transforming the delivery of services
- promoting the release of government data, and making the way government works more transparent
- creating an exceptional Civil Service, improving its capability and effectiveness
- promoting social action and National Citizen Service, and growing the social investment market
- political and constitutional reform
Our priorities are to:
- establish and implement the coalition government’s overall strategy and policy priorities
- reform the UK’s constitutional and political system - implementing the coalition’s commitments on lobbying, the Royal Succession laws, party funding and other areas
- improve the integrity and efficiency of the electoral system, including managing the move to individual electoral registration in 2015
- maintain a robust, decentralised UK, including co-ordinating Scotland’s referendum, engaging with Wales and Northern Ireland and giving power back to cities in England
- achieve greater efficiency savings across government
- promote open data and transparency both nationally and internationally, through the UK’s chairmanship of the Open Government Partnership
- launch the Centre for Social Action, which will promote volunteering opportunities through its campaigns, and to increase the scale of National Citizen Service to provide more places for young people
- contribute to UK growth and agree our strategy for continued contribution in future years
- implement the Civil Service Reform Plan and publish a one year on report
Who we are
We employ around 2,050 staff. There are also around 700 people working for the Crown Commercial Service, an executive agency.
Our main offices are in London, but we have staff based around the country. We are supported by a number of advisory non-departmental bodies.
Access our information
Jobs and contracts
Read about the types of information we routinely publish in our Publication scheme. Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information. Read our policy on Social media use.