What we do
We support the Prime Minister and ensure the effective running of government. We are also the corporate headquarters for government, in partnership with HM Treasury, and we take the lead in certain critical policy areas.
We have responsibility for:
- supporting collective government, helping to ensure the effective development, coordination and implementation of policy
- supporting the National Security Council and the Joint Intelligence Organisation, coordinating the government’s response to crises and managing the UK’s cyber security
- promoting efficiency and reform across government through innovation, better procurement and project management, and by transforming the delivery of services
- promoting the release of government data, and making the way government works more transparent
- creating an exceptional Civil Service, improving its capability and effectiveness
- promoting social action and National Citizen Service, and growing the social investment market
- political and constitutional reform
Our priorities are to:
- support the Prime Minister and Cabinet to deliver the government’s programme
- drive efficiencies and reforms that will make government work better
- build a stronger civil society
- create a more united democracy
- strengthen and secure the United Kingdom at home and abroad
Read our single departmental plan to find out more about how we are performing against our objectives.
Who we are
We employ around 2,050 staff. There are also around 700 people working for the Crown Commercial Service, an executive agency.
Our main offices are in London, but we have staff based around the country. We are supported by a number of advisory non-departmental bodies.
Access our information
Jobs and contracts
Read about the types of information we routinely publish in our Publication scheme. Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information. Read our policy on Social media use.