We will ensure that we will treat all personal information in accordance with data protection legislation, including the General Data Protection Regulation and Data Protection Act 2018.
When the Cabinet Office or its agencies collects, holds, uses or processes in any way your personal data, you are entitled to be told:
- the purpose for which the data is being used, and our lawful basis for processing it
- how long we will keep your data, who we will share it with
- whether it will be transferred or accessed outside the UK or EU, and what legal safeguards are in place to protect it
- about any rights you may have, including the right to access your information, or to object to its being used
- about your right to complain to the Information Commissioner if you feel that your personal information has been mishandled
- about the identity of our Data Protection Officer (an independent advisor on data protection matters)
You are also entitled to have your personal information:
- protected and kept secure
- kept accurate and up to date
- not used for purposes which are incompatible with those for which it was collected
- kept only for as long as it is needed for the purpose for which it was collected (unless it must be kept as part of the historic record)
You can get more information about what we use personal information for below under Privacy Notices.
How to access your personal information
If you would like a copy of any personal information that we hold about you, please contact the relevant team or agency in the Cabinet Office.
If you do not know who holds your information, or you do not know who to ask, please contact the general contact address and provide as much information as possible about what information you think we hold.
Email: Public enquiries
Telephone: 020 7276 1234
Data Protection Officer
If you have any concerns about how the department is handling your personal data, you may contact the department’s Data Protection Officer (DPO).
The DPO provides independent advice and monitoring of Cabinet Office’s use of personal information. They can be contacted at the following postal and email addresses:
Email: Data Protection Officer
Using special category and criminal conviction personal data
The Appropriate Policy Document sets out how the Cabinet Office will protect special category and criminal convictions personal data.
The privacy notices listed below explain in more detail how we will handle your data in specific circumstances. Some privacy notices have been listed under more than one heading, where appropriate.
Cabinet Office Corporate
Cabinet Office Human Resources
Civil Service Group (Analysis & Insight)
Civil Service Human Resources
Economic and Domestic Secretariat
Fraud, Error, Debt and Grants
Government Commercial Function
Government Communication Service
Government in Parliament Group
Government Security Group
Historic records and inquiries
Privacy notice for Cabinet Office historic records and inquiries
Infrastructure and Projects Authority
Office of Government Property
Private Office Group
Privacy Notices: Arms Length Bodies
Advisory Committee on Business Appointments
Crown Commercial Service
Security Vetting Appeals Panel