Personal information charter

Our standards for requesting or storing personal information.

Who is in control of your personal data

We take seriously the way we store and use your personal information and how we meet our legal obligations.

The Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), Scottish and Welsh Governments and the Food Standards Agency are Data Controllers in Common for personal data you give to APHA.

Your personal data will be protected in line with the Data Protection Act (DPA) 1998. Defra provides the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) with details about its processing of personal data.

Your privacy

When we ask for your personal information we promise to:

  • tell you why we need it
  • only ask for what we need
  • protect it and hold it securely
  • tell you if we’re going to share it with other organisations, with the aim of providing better public services, and if you can say no to this
  • not keep it any longer than necessary
  • not make it available for commercial use without your permission, unless we are required to make it available on a public register

In return we ask you to:

  • give us accurate information
  • tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a new address

This helps us to keep your information reliable and up-to-date.

When we ask you for information, we’ll keep to the law, including the Data Protection Act, 1998.

How we may use your data

We collect and process information so we can carry out our responsibilities in animal and plant health, animal welfare, disease monitoring, public health, conservation and compliance with marketing regulations.

We may use your data for the following:

  • investigate and report positive results for notifiable or reportable disease
  • monitor the possible spread of disease and inform risk assessments
  • visits and inspections required to protect animal and plant health and animal welfare
  • develop and test disease contingency plans
  • implement disease control measures
  • inspect and license premises and activities
  • inform the Veterinary Medicines Directorate of a suspected adverse reaction to a pharmaceutical product
  • provide advice and information to Ministers and policy-makers
  • research and scientific trials
  • produce guidance, reports and publications
  • customer research to improve our services

Sharing your data

Personal data may be made available to local authorities and other public bodies in the UK and EU to meet legal requirements.

We may share data with Defra and its agencies, Welsh Government, Scottish Government, Food Standards Agency, Public Health, and other organisations and enforcement authorities.

We may have to release information (including personal data and commercial information under the following legislation:

  • Data Protection Act 1998
  • Freedom of Information Act (2000)
  • Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act (2002)
  • Environmental Information Regulations 2004
  • Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004

However, we will not allow any unwarranted breach of confidentiality and we will not act in contravention of our obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998.

For sharing bovine TB date in line with the England and Wales TB Orders, see the fair processing notice (PDF, 22.1KB, 1 page)

How we process your personal data

We are changing the way we process your personal data relating to financial transactions when we interact with you. Our services provider Shared Services Connected Limited (SSCL) may process some of this data offshore. For more information see Personal data processing: fair processing notice.

Personal information requests

To request your personal information, write to the ATI Enquiries Manager at:

ATI Enquiries Manager
Weybourne Building
Animal and Plant Health Agency
Woodham Lane
New Haw
KT15 3NB

In your request, provide:

  • as many details as possible about the information you need
  • a cheque for £10.00 made payable to APHA to cover the DPA 1998 fee

Please note that we may ask you to provide proof of your identity.

If the request is for personal data about prosecution or taxation, use the DPA section 29 request form.


If you have a query or complaint about APHA’s handling of your personal information, you can contact or address written enquiries to:

ATI Manager
Weybourne Building
Animal and Plant Health Agency
Woodham Lane
New Haw
KT15 3NB

For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data-sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner.