Complaints procedure

How to make a complaint about a service provided by the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (Cefas).

We work hard to provide a high quality of service in everything we do, but recognise that we sometimes make mistakes or make decisions that some will disagree with.

You can file a complaint if you’re unhappy with the quality of service we’ve provided, the outcome of a decision we’ve made or the way a member of our staff has treated you.

How to complain

First register your complaint with the member of staff who provided the service. Or you can contact Cefas Management Board (CMB) Office at:

Telephone: 01502 524479. Email:

What happens next

We’ll acknowledge your message within 3 working days and try to respond to your complaint within 10 working days. If we’re unable to resolve your complaint within this time we’ll let you know why it will take longer.

If you’re not satisfied

If you’re not satisfied with our response you can write to Cefas’s chief executive:

Chief Executive
Pakefield Road
Suffolk NR33 0HT

Telephone: 01502 524 233 or 01502 524479

If you’re not satisfied with the chief executive’s decision you can write to your MP and ask for them to pass your complaint on to the Parliamentary Ombudsman. Alternatively you can write to:

Minister of State for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food
Seacole Block, 2 Marsham Street