Nepal earthquake: UK aid response
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
Latest updates and summary of the UK's humanitarian response to the Nepal earthquake.
On 25 April, a magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck an area between Kathmandu and Pokhara, Nepal. The government of Nepal has requested international assistance and the UK government is responding. Thousands are in need of shelter, water and food. We are working to ensure survivors get the help they need.
Summary of UK humanitarian response
The UK’s humanitarian response now stands at more than £33 million and includes:
- £10 million to rebuild vital health services in the worst affected districts;
- £5.3 million for UN agencies in Nepal to coordinate the international relief effort and provide clean water and shelter for affected families;
- £3 million released under the Rapid Response Facility (RRF) to six charities and NGOs already working on the ground: Save the Children, Mercy Corps Scotland, Care International UK, ActionAid, Oxfam and Handicap International;
- £2 million for the British Red Cross;
- £5 million to match public donations to the Disasters Emergency Committee’s appeal, which will support NGOs on the ground;
- a £5 million package to provide a further team of 30 trauma medics, logistical support and equipment to ease congestion at Kathmandu Airport and humanitarian experts in water, health and sanitation. DFID also deployed a team of more than 60 UK International Search and Rescue (UKISAR) responders and specialist rescue dogs;
- £2.5 million for the UN Humanitarian Air Service to enable organisations already on the ground to deliver aid to isolated areas; and
- more than £300,000 for Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) to provide two Airbus 350 helicopters to get help to more remote regions
Infographic: UK aid response to Nepal earthquake - last updated 20 May.
Published: 28 April 2015
Updated: 20 May 2015
- Updated funding amounts
- Updated infographic 14 May 2015.
- Insert of link to press release
- Latest MOD efforts to provide aid to Nepal
- Slight change to overall funding figure
- Change in Flickr link
- Change in infographic information
- New infographic
- New funding announcement
- 2 May update - More vital UK aid reaches Nepal
- Added information on RRF funding
- 30/4/15 - announcement of 3 RAF Chinooks additional funding for UN helicopters
- Infographic of UK's response added.
- Additional £5 million support announced 29 April 2015
- First published.