News story

Don’t buy a vehicle without a V5C (logbook)

DVLA advises motorists not to buy a vehicle if it doesn't have a V5C (logbook).

V5C logbook

Advice when buying a vehicle

If you buy a vehicle that doesn’t have a V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book), you may not be able to tax it. You’ll need to apply for a V5C logbook using a V62 application which can take 6 weeks and costs £25.

You can reduce the risk of buying a stolen vehicle by making sure it has a V5C logbook and by following these steps.

Once you’ve bought a vehicle, you’ll need to tax it before using it on the road as vehicle tax cannot be transferred between keepers. Find out how you can tax your vehicle without a V11 reminder letter.

Selling a vehicle

If you sell your vehicle you must tell DVLA straight away using the V5C registration certificate.

If it’s lost or damaged you’ll need to get a replacement before selling. The new keeper won’t be able to tax the vehicle without it.

Vehicle tax refund

Once you tell DVLA that you’ve sold the vehicle you’ll receive an automatic refund for any full months remaining tax and if you have a Direct Debit set up it will be cancelled.

Published 11 June 2015