His specific responsibilities include:
- Prison operations, reform and industrial relations
- Probation services and reform industrial relations
- Sentencing (including out of court disposals)
- Public protections (including Parole Board, IPPs and Serious Further Offences)
- Foreign National Offenders
- Electronic Monitoring
- Supporting SoS on departmental finances and transparency
Current role holder: Rory Stewart OBE MP
Rory Stewart was appointed Minister of State for the Ministry of Justice on 9 January 2018. Rory was previously joint Minister of State for the Department for International Development and Minister of State for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office from June 2017 to January 2018.
He was Minister of State at the Department for International Development from 17 July 2016. He was elected the Conservative MP for Penrith and The Border in May 2010.
Rory served as Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) from May 2015 until July 2016.