Robert Buckland QC was appointed as Solicitor General on 15 July 2014. He was elected the Conservative MP for South Swindon in 2010.
Robert was born in Llanelli in 1968. He went to Hatfield College, Durham, graduating in Law in 1990. Robert attended the Inns of Court School of Law, where he was a prize winner for Advocacy and was Called to the Bar at Inner Temple in October 1991.
Career outside politics
He returned to practice in Wales, most recently being a member of Apex Chambers in Cardiff. Robert is a door tenant at 23 Essex Street Chambers, London. In 2009, Robert was appointed as a Recorder of the Crown Court, sitting on the Midland Circuit.
In 1997, Robert married Sian, whom he met at university. In 2002, their twin children Millicent and George were born. They live in Wroughton. Robert’s interests include music, wine, political history and watching rugby and cricket.
The Solicitor General supports the Attorney across the range of his responsibilities. This includes:
- deputising for the Attorney General and being responsible for such matters as the Attorney General delegates to him
- providing support to the Attorney General in his superintendence of the Government Legal Department, the Crown Prosecution Service, the Service Prosecuting Authority, HM Crown Prosecution Service Inspectorate and the Serious Fraud Office
- providing support to the Attorney General on civil litigation and advice on civil law matters and on the public interest function
- Man who threatened Hertfordshire police officers jailed
- Arsonist jailed following Solicitor General’s referral
- AGO transparency data Q1 April - June 2018
- Football coach paedophile has sentence increased after Solicitor General’s referral
- Knife-wielding mugger has sentence increased
- First ever convicted cross-border sex-trafficker has sentence increased
- Sentence increase for man who sexually assaulted girls for 25 years
- Southampton paedophile jailed after Solicitor General’s referral
- Sentence increased for Manchester man who fractured baby's skull
- Christchurch mugger jailed after Solicitor General’s referral