Common Technology Services (CTS)
Common Technology Services (CTS) supports government digital transformation by designing IT solutions that meet cross government technology needs, enabling collaboration and cost savings.
Who we are
CTS enables departments to move more quickly to modern IT for users and infrastructure. We will help government departments provide their staff with better technology, so they can work more flexibly and efficiently.
CTS is a team of technical, commercial, user research and engagement specialists. We’re part of Government Digital Service and are based in Aldgate, London.
What we do
Our cross government IT solutions enable effective collaboration between civil servants and avoid the problems of the past, like vendor lock in. We provide guidance on:
- applications (cloud based email, document and records management)
- end user compute (end user devices, operating systems and printing)
- hosting (crown hosting and virtual hosting)
- identity and integration (user account management)
- networks (internet connectivity, wireless and wired networks)
- service management (service desk, alerting, reporting, and monitoring)
We design components to common standards which meet the agreed Technology Code of Practice.
We’re writing guidance for IT teams across government. We use departments’ feedback to decide what topics we cover and the way we prioritise our guidance.
Follow this guidance:
- Securing government email
- Set up government email services securely
- Sharing wide area network connections in shared buildings
- Sharing workplace wireless networks
- Find out about GovWifi
- Connect to GovWifi
- Set up GovWifi on your infrastructure
- Set up managed end user devices to automatically connect to GovWifi
- Terms and conditions for connecting to GovWifi
We regularly visit departments to understand their current technology and contract landscape and to gain a better overview of user needs. If you would like to speak to us or arrange a meeting please email our engagement team email@example.com.
Our user researchers work closely with departments to discover and understand their user needs. We help them get the technology best suited to meet those needs. Read the blog post on discovering the way people work.
Commercial experts are working with Departments to review opportunities to adopt CTS solutions and deliver savings.
Some CTS services are live. Find out about:
We’re responsible for:
- helping departments significantly reduce their IT spending
- delivering designs and guidance for common technology components to common standards
- working with the Digital Marketplace team and Crown Commercial Service to ensure a coordinated commercial approach to buying technology services
- providing clear guidance on options for departments starting or undergoing IT transformation
- enabling effective collaboration across government
- giving colleagues across government access to a set of common services which meet the Technology Code of Practice
- helping departments move off their existing IT contracts and move to new, flexible, common technology
Our priorities are to help:
- departments and agencies move to cheaper cloud solutions
- government procure shorter, more flexible contracts
- create more competition and access to SMEs
- maintain common standards across government
- departments move to shared technology components
- encourage suppliers to provide more transparent pricing
We use these social media channels:
Working for us
Any job vacancies are advertised on Civil Service Job Search.