Applies to England, Scotland and Wales
Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
The government introduced a simpler grading structure for approved driving instructors (ADIs) on 7 April 2014.
The government has also decided to:
- take steps to help ADIs publish and publicise their grade
- look at the options for replacing the ADI part 3 test with one that uses the same criteria and marking system as the ADI standards check
- continue to look at the possibilities of introducing a vocational qualification, while making sure that concerns raised can be addressed
- talk to the driver training industry about how we can best reform the trainee instructor licence
- start work on an online booking service for ADI standards checks
- consult separately about changing the ADI fee structure
- change the law so an ADI can ask for their name to be removed from the ADI register
- provide the option for an ADI to take an ADI standards check to renew a lapsed registration, after talking about the practical implications of this with the ADI national associations
- not pursue the introduction of fines (called ‘civil sanctions’) that the ADI Registrar could issue to ADIs for the time being
Detail of feedback received
We received 1,679 responses to the consultation.
The document provides all the comments made on the consultation. We’ve removed personal details from them.
The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) and Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) merged on 1 April 2014 to form the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
DSA wants to know whether you think it should:
- replace the 3 qualifying tests to become an approved driving instructor (ADI) with a vocational qualification
- improve the current tests
- replace the trainee licence with a requirement for trainee instructors to be accompanied by ADIs when providing paid instruction
DSA also wants to know what you think about:
- introducing fines (called ‘civil sanctions’) that the ADI Registrar could charge an ADI if they didn’t follow a condition of their approval
- changing the registration fees ADIs pay so that they pay for the standards check separately when they book it
- changing the grading structure for ADIs
- what information about ADIs it would be useful and fair for DSA to make available to the public
- National standard for driver and rider training
- National standard for developed driving competence
- Driver Training National Occupational Standard
- Equality impact assessment: ADI qualification
- Equality impact assessments: ADI standards checks
- ADI Registrar webchat (9 July 2013): questions and answers