Providing childcare services in England

Find out what you must do to register as a childcare provider with Ofsted, as well as how you must run certain parts of your service.

These guides are in 4 categories, telling you what you need to do if you want to apply to:

  • be a childminder
  • be a nanny
  • be a nursery or other type of daycare
  • register on the Childcare Register, if you do not fit into one of the above categories

Each section also has important information for running that type of childcare. This includes:

  • adding a setting where you can look after children
  • which people, who join or leave, that you need to tell Ofsted about
  • reporting serious childcare incidents such as temporary closures, or a child’s illness or injury
  • paying an Ofsted invoice in relation to your childcare



Nurseries and other daycare

Childcare registrations

If you do not meet the registration requirements of any of the above childcare provider types, you might be able to register only on the Childcare Register.

There are 2 parts of the Childcare Register - voluntary and compulsory. They have different registration requirements.

Published 30 January 2020
Last updated 2 March 2020 + show all updates
  1. Updated to include information on paying the annual registration fee by direct debit.

  2. Updated to include information and links to new digital services for childminders and nannies. There is no change in law or policy.

  3. First published.