We fund innovation through two main mechanisms, the Open Call for Innovation and Themed Competitions.
Open Call for Innovation
The Open Call exists to offer suppliers the opportunity to submit their ideas to defence and security stakeholders.
The Open Call welcomes innovations that address defence and/or security challenges. Please see some examples of work we have funded here.
The Open Call is open for proposals all year round, with assessment dates scheduled across the year. The next cycle closes on 02 October 2019. More information on assessment dates can be found here.
While we welcome the full range of ideas and innovations, there are some specific Innovation Focus Areas where proposals are sought.
Innovation focus areas for defence are:
- Developing novel radar concepts and technologies
- Delivering an open data sharing solution
- Regenerative medicine at the front line
Innovation focus areas for security are:
- Finding suspected threats on passengers during airport screening
- Matching passengers with their x-ray trays during airport screening
- Improving aviation cargo screening speed
- Assistive technology for rail staff
- Screening train carriages
Themed Competitions exist to offer suppliers the opportunity to submit proposals around specific government areas of interest. Themed competitions may only run for a short time and have set closing dates.
DASA has had various themed competitions covering a range of topics. For details on past competitions, please see here.
To see examples of projects that have been funded through themed competitions, please see here.
Competitions currently open for application
We also host a number of events; please see here for a list of our upcoming events.