Aerospace sector: export help
Guidance for UK companies involved in the aerospace sector on exporting overseas.
The UK’s aerospace sector is the largest in Europe and the second largest in the world. The industry continues to grow year-on-year, with 2014 being another record year for the commercial aerospace industry. Orders for new aircraft increased by 8% with a 14% boost in the aircraft order backlog.
It’s a vital part of the UK economy which:
- directly employs 109,000 people and indirectly supports a further 120,000
- generated around £27.8 billion in 2013, with 91% of final demand coming from exports, worth £24.7 billion
Government and industry are working in partnership to create more opportunities for companies through the Aerospace Industrial Strategy.
How Department for International Trade (DIT) can help
DIT helps the UK aerospace sector do more business internationally by helping UK companies:
- increase their presence in overseas markets
- overcome difficulties getting in to markets
- develop supply chain opportunities
- partner internationally in technology innovation
We do this by:
- promoting opportunities arising from prime contractors supply chains, ideally at pre-bidding stage
- promoting the industry overseas through the Prime Minister’s Trade Envoys and our Embassies and High Commissions
- working with the Aerospace Growth Partnership (AGP) made up of representatives from government and industry
- developing relationships with international aerospace companies, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) and Tier 1 suppliers.
- aligning with UK based contractors to position UK supply chain companies effectively for future export opportunities
The DIT Defence and Security Organisation (DIT DSO) can help with defence applications in the aerospace sector.
If you are interested in exporting your goods contact a DIT trade adviser for a free consultation.
Find out about DIT services for exporters.
Register your interest to attend DIT aerospace events, including missions and webinars.
- network with potential overseas customers
- demonstrate technologies and products to an international audience
- meet face to face with DIT advisers
Farnborough International Airshow
The Farnborough International Airshow is a major trade exhibition for the aerospace and defence industries which takes place every 2 years. DIT will be present at Farnborough and available to provide help and advice. Find out more at www.farnborough.com.
DIT provides free international export sales leads from its worldwide network. Find export opportunities.
You may need some form of credit guarantee or insurance to protect you against non-payment or other financial issues in certain markets. UK Export Finance (UKEF) can provide extra capital to finance large projects and help grow business.
Watch our videos on the help UKEF can give on trade finance and managing payment risk.
Consult with a UKEF export finance adviser to find out about trade finance and insurance support.
Find aerospace sector trade associations on the Trade Association Forum
The export of aerospace technology may require a licence to ensure UK companies are meeting our non-proliferation obligations. This is especially true for potentially militarised technology.
You must check with the Export Control Organisation (ECO) to find out if your goods require a strategic export control licence.
- News story
- News story
- News story