How much you get depends on your circumstances.
The Funeral Payment can help pay for:
- burial fees and exclusive rights to burial in a particular plot
- cremation fees, including the cost of the doctor’s certificate
- up to £700 for funeral expenses, such as funeral director’s fees, flowers, coffin
- travel to arrange or go to the funeral
- the costs for moving the body within the UK - but only for the part of the journey that’s over 50 miles
If the person who died had a pre-paid funeral plan, you’ll only get help for items not covered by the plan.
You can find the full list of what can be included in the Funeral Payment in claim form SF200.
How the money is paid
Usually, if the funeral director hasn’t been paid, the money is paid to them.
If the funeral director has been paid, the money is paid into your bank, building society or credit union account.