2. What you'll get
How much you get depends on your circumstances.
Funeral Payment can help pay for:
- burial fees and exclusive rights to burial in a particular plot
- cremation fees, including the cost of the doctor’s certificate
- up to £700 for funeral expenses, such as funeral director’s fees, flowers or the coffin
- travel to arrange or go to the funeral
- the cost of moving the body within the UK, if it’s being moved more than 50 miles
- death certificates or other documents
Check the claim form for full details of what Funeral Payment covers.
If the deceased had a pre-paid funeral plan, you’ll only get help for items not covered by the plan.
How much you get also depends on any other money available, for example from an insurance policy or the deceased person’s estate.
How the money is paid
Funeral Payment is paid into your bank, building society or credit union account if you’ve already paid for the funeral.
The money will be paid directly to the organiser of the funeral (for example, the funeral director) if you haven’t paid yet.