Funeral Expenses Payment

4. Make a claim

You must apply within 3 months of the funeral, even if you’re waiting for a decision on a qualifying benefit.

You can make a claim before the funeral if you’ve got an invoice from the funeral director. You can’t make a claim if you’ve only been given an estimate.

If you get Universal Credit, you won’t get a decision on your claim until after your next payment.

There’s a different way to claim if you live in Northern Ireland.

How to claim

Claim by phone by calling the Bereavement Service helpline.

Bereavement Service helpline

Telephone: 0345 606 0265
Welsh language: 0345 606 0275
Textphone: 0345 606 0285
Welsh language: 0345 606 0295
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

An adviser will also help you claim any other bereavement benefits you might be entitled to.

You can also claim by post. Download and fill in the claim form, then send it to the address on the form.

Appeal a Funeral Expenses Payment decision

You can appeal to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal if you disagree with a decision about Funeral Expenses Payment.