Warnings and insurance
The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) provides advice about risks of travel to help British nationals make informed decisions. Find out more about FCDO travel advice.
Areas where FCDO advises against travel
Your travel insurance could be invalidated if you travel against FCDO advice.
FCDO advises against all travel to within 10 miles of the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province
FCDO advises against all travel to these areas in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province:
- Dera Ismail Khan
- Lakki Marwat
- Lower Dir
- Peshawar, including the city of Peshawar
- North Waziristan
- Upper South Waziristan
- Lower South Waziristan
- the Karakoram Highway between Mansehra and Chilas via Battagram, Besham City, Dasu and Sazin up to the junction with the N15
- the N45 Highway, from the north of the Mardan ring road, to the edge of Chitral City
FCDO advises against all travel to Balochistan Province, except the southern coast of Balochistan.
FCDO advises against all but essential travel to the southern coast of Balochistan. That is the:
- area south of (and including) the N10 motorway
- section of the N25 from the N10/N25 intersection to the Balochistan-Sindh border, including the port city of Gwadar
FCDO advises against all travel to within 10 miles of the Line of Control.
FCDO advises against all but essential travel to all areas of Sindh Province north of and including the city of Nawabshah.
Find out more about why FCDO advises against travel to these regions.
Before you travel
No travel can be guaranteed safe. Read all the advice in this guide as well as support for British nationals abroad which includes:
- advice on preparing for travel abroad and reducing risks
- information for women, LGBT+ and disabled travellers
If you choose to travel, research your destinations and get appropriate travel insurance. Insurance should cover your itinerary, planned activities and expenses in an emergency.