On 21 March 2019 the Malawi Department of Disaster Management Affairs (DoDMA) advised residents around Zomba City of the risk of serious flooding due to the weakening of Chagwa Dam. If you are in the area you should remain vigilant, follow the advice of local authorities, and be prepared to leave the area at short notice.

On 8 March 2019, the President of Malawi declared a State of Disaster in areas of southern Malawi affected by heavy floods. The floods have caused at least 45 deaths and more than 80,000 people have been displaced. Tropical Cyclone Idai is forecast to make landfall from the Mozambique channel around 15 March and may bring further strong winds and heavy rain to parts of southern Malawi between 15 and 19 March. If travelling to affected regions, you should take extra care, monitor local and international weather updates from the World Meteorological Organisation and follow any advice given by the local authorities. See our Tropical cyclones page for advice about what to do if you are caught up in a storm.

Since July 2018 there have been reports of possible incidents of unrest and violence in rural areas of Mulanje, linked to rumours of bloodsuckers. This is further to similar incidents of violence and unrest reported during the period September to December 2017 in the areas of Mulanje, Thyolo, Chiradzulu, Phalombe and also in rural parts of Blantyre, Zomba and Nsanje districts. You should continue to exercise extreme caution if you’re travelling in these areas, especially after dark, avoid any demonstrations or large groups of people and follow local security advice. See Safety and security

You will need a visa to enter Malawi as a visitor. See Visas

Most visits to Malawi are trouble-free, but you should take sensible precautions to protect yourself from muggers and bag-snatchers. Most thefts from visitors take place around the main bus stations in Lilongwe and Blantyre. See Safety and security

Although there’s no recent history of terrorism in Malawi, attacks can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.