The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to:
- the port of Buenaventura in the department of Valle de Cauca
- the port of Tumaco in the department of Nariño
The FCO advise against all but essential travel to:
- the departments of Putumayo, Arauca, Cauca, Caquetá, Guaviare, Guainía, Vichada, and Norte de Santander (except certain capital cities, as indicated on the map)
- the department of Chocó (except the whale-watching towns of Nuquí and Bahía Solano)
- the department of Nariño (except its capital and the Ipiales border crossing)
- the department of Meta (except its capital, Villavicencio, and the tourist site of Caño Cristales); visitors travelling to Caño Cristales should only do so with a reputable tour company travelling by air to and from the town of La Macarena
- within 20km of the Venezuelan border in the departments of La Guajira, César and Boyaca
- rural areas in northern Antioquia, southern Cordoba, southern Valle de Cauca, and southern Bolivar (as indicated on the map)
Main roads are generally safe within daylight hours. See Road Travel
The departmental capitals of Amazonas, Vaupes and Guainía are only accessible by air due to the lack of road infrastructure in these departments.
There is a high threat from terrorism. See Terrorism
The security situation can change very quickly in many areas of the country. You should pay close attention to warnings issued by the Colombian authorities. In general, the more remote the area, the greater the potential threat to your safety. You should be particularly cautious and vigilant during any major events and in crowded places.
Despite the high levels of crime, most visits to Colombia are trouble-free. See Crime
Following an earthquake on 21 October in the area of the Chiles Volcano in Cumbal (Nariño department) on the border between Colombia and Ecuador, the Colombian geological authorities have declared an orange alert in the surrounding area. See Natural disasters
The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.
Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.