Foreign travel advice


Important COVID-19 travel guidance

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Travel to some countries and territories is currently exempted.

This advice is being kept under constant review. Travel disruption is still possible and national control measures may be brought in with little notice, so check our travel guidance.

Entry requirements

The information on this page covers the most common types of travel and reflects the UK government’s understanding of the rules currently in place. Unless otherwise stated, this information is for travellers using a full ‘British Citizen’ passport.

The authorities in the country or territory you’re travelling to are responsible for setting and enforcing the rules for entry. If you’re unclear about any aspect of the entry requirements, or you need further reassurance, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

Entry rules in response to coronavirus

Entry to Chile

On 18 March 2020 the Chilean Government introduced a prohibition on entry into the country, except for Chilean nationals and foreign nationals with valid residency visas for Chile. However, if you can prove family connections with Chileans or foreigners resident in Chile, you can contact the nearest Chilean Consulate to request a ‘special permit to entry’ (Salvoconducto) prior to your travel.

It is possible to transit through Chile, as long as you remain airside throughout your journey.

Quarantine requirements

Chile has a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all arrivals.

If you are travelling by air, you will be handed a health form to fill in during the flight, to hand to authorities on arrival. At the airport, you will have your temperature checked. You will also need to confirm to authorities where you will be staying during quarantine and provide details of how you will be travelling to that location (including the name of the taxi company that you are using, if relevant).

Since 19 October, Chilean nationals, foreign nationals with Chilean residency and non-residents carrying a special permit of entry (salvoconducto) issued by a Chilean Consulate overseas, can request a quarantine exemption on arrival if they can show a negative PCR-test taken within 72 hours prior to arrival in Chile. This test should be completed by a recognised laboratory licensed to do such tests. If travellers do not have a negative PCR-test on arrival, the 14-day quarantine restriction from arrival date is mandatory.

You should not use the NHS testing service to get a test in order to facilitate your travel to another country. You should arrange to take a private test.

Travellers with quarantine restrictions also have the option to take a PCR-test in Chile. This could reduce the time spent in quarantine. This request must be arranged by the traveller on arrival. The local health authorities will need to confirm the negative PCR-test result. You should be aware that health authorities are prioritising requests based on compassionate reasons. For more details please contact the Chilean COVID Health-line 6003607777 option 0.

The Chilean authorities have closed all ports to cruise liners.

Regular entry requirements


If you are a British passport holder visiting Chile for less than 90 days, you do not need a visa. If you wish to stay longer, you should consult the nearest Chilean Embassy. 

On arrival in Chile the immigration authorities will issue you with a ‘Tarjeta de Turismo - Tourist Card’, an A5 sized white form. You must retain this document and present it to immigration when you leave.

Once in Chile, if you decide to stay for 90 days or more, you should contact the Chilean Immigration Department located in San Antonio 580, Santiago. Telephone: 600 626 4222.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is required.

Dual nationality

British-Chilean dual nationals must enter and leave Chile using their Chilean passport. Chilean entry and exit requirements for dual nationals may change without notice. For further information check with the Chilean Embassy.

Travelling with children   

Chile has strict requirements for the entry and exit of minors under the age of 18.

Children born in Chile require a Chilean passport to leave.

Children under 18 years old who are leaving Chile alone, with only one parent/guardian, with friends or relatives, or with a group must get authorisation to travel from the Chilean authorities before travel. You can get this authorisation from any ‘notaria’ in Chile.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Chile. Your ETD must be valid for the proposed duration of your stay.

Dual British/Chilean nationals must have a Chilean travel document (passport) to be allowed to depart - UK ETDs cannot substitute this requirement.

Tourist card (Tarjeta de Turismo) issued by Border authorities on your arrival in Chile must be presented to immigration when you leave. If you lose it, you should request a copy of the Tourist card at the nearest PDI office or the one at Santiago airport.