A large forest fire on 12 April has affected Valparaiso City (5th region). Local authorities have declared a state of emergency. Chilean armed forces have activated their emergency response. A large number of people have been evacuated. You should monitor the website of the National Emergency Office of the Ministry of the Interior and Public Security ONEMI or follow ONEMI on twitter.

A large earthquake of magnitude 8.2 struck off the coast of northern Chile on 1 April. Tsunami warnings were issued and later lifted. A further earthquake occurred on 2 April. Strong tremors and aftershocks continue to take place.

The British Embassy is in contact with the national emergency services in Chile. You should monitor local media and follow the advice of the local authorities. If you need consular assistance, contact the British Embassy in Santiago. See Natural disasters

Border crossings are sometimes closed due to the weather or earthquakes. Check the website of the Chilean Ministry of Public Works for the latest information.

There is an underlying threat from terrorism. See Terrorism

Most visits to Chile are trouble-free. See Crime

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.