Expenses if you're self-employed
3. Car, van and travel expenses
You can claim allowable business expenses for:
- vehicle insurance
- repairs and servicing
- hire charges
- vehicle licence fees
- breakdown cover
- train, bus, air and taxi fares
- hotel rooms
- meals on overnight business trips
You can’t claim for:
- non-business driving or travel costs
- travel between home and work
You may be able to calculate your car, van or motorcycle expenses using a flat rate (known as simplified expenses) for mileage instead of the actual costs of buying and running your vehicle.
For all other types of vehicle, claim them as allowable expenses.