Apply for this licence
Start now on the Scottish Government website
If you operate an egg packing centre in Scotland, you must be registered with the Scottish Ministers. You should contact the Scottish Government’s Egg Marketing Inspectorate for registration.
To qualify for registration, your premises must have:
- suitable candling equipment continuously staffed to allow the quality of each egg to be examined separately
- a device for measuring the air cell
- a machine for grading eggs by weight
- one or more approved balances for weighing eggs
- equipment for marking eggs with a producer code
Authorisation will be granted providing your equipment is of the required standard.
Your premises must be approved separately as a food business by your local authority before you can start trading.
Failure to comply with this requirement may result in a fine.