How to apply

You can apply now for courses which start on or after 1 August 2018.

Check whether you’re eligible before you apply.

You only need to apply once for the Postgraduate Doctoral Loan. Student Finance England will write to you in the summer to tell you how much you’ll get in the next academic year.

You will not be eligible for an Adult Dependants’ Grant, a Childcare Grant or Parents’ Learning Allowance from Student Finance if you’re studying a doctoral course.

Apply online

If you’ve taken out a loan with Student Finance England before, use your account to apply.

If you do not already have one, set up an account.

Apply by post

If you cannot apply online, apply by post – the address is on the form.

When to apply

The deadline for applying depends on when you start your course.

You need to apply within 9 months of the first day of the last academic year of the course.

The academic year

The academic year is a period of 12 months.

Course start date between First day of academic year
1 August and 31 December 1 September
1 January and 31 March 1 January
1 April and 30 June 1 April
1 July and 31 July 1 July

Example If your course started on 17 October 2018 and you’re studying for 3 years, you need to apply before 31 May 2021.

Proof of identity

Include valid UK passport details in your application.

Use the ‘UK passport details’ form if you need to send the details after your application. Do not send the passport itself.

If you do not have a UK passport (or it has expired), send your birth or adoption certificate using the ‘Birth or adoption certificate form’.

If you’re an EU national, send your passport or national identity card.

Supporting information

You should use the evidence return form for extra information to support your application, for example evidence of your residency status.

You may also be asked to complete the UK employment status form.

Change an application

Use your online account to change your personal details, for example bank or contact details. Contact Student Finance England directly if you do not have an account.

Change the amount you’ve asked for

Use the loan request form to change the amount you’ve applied for - you cannot do this online.

Other changes

Use the change of circumstances form if you need to change any other details, for example your university or course. You cannot do this online.

Taking a break or withdrawing from your course

Tell Student Finance England and your institution straight away if you need to withdraw from your course. It may affect your future payments and eligibility for funding.