Find out about eligibility and requirements for the top wiring - stone wall item.
How much will be paid
£3.60 per metre (m).
Where to use this item
Available for Mid Tier, Higher Tier and hedgerows and boundaries grant
- walls being rebuilt with the BN12 - Stone wall restoration item
- to exclude stock from new woodland planting or other land management options
How it benefits the environment
If successful there will be a rebuilt stone wall with top-wiring which will help to control livestock and conserve traditional landscapes.
- use round timber posts with a top diameter of 75mm
- set the posts at centres no wider than 3m (for mild steel wire) or 10m (for high-tensile wire)
- use posts long enough so that the top wire can be fixed at no more than 300mm above the top of the wall
- use timber that is fully peeled and tanalised or treated with an appropriate preservative
- knock the posts into the ground and either set them leaning against the wall or set them alternately on opposite sides of the wall
- secure the posts
- staple either half height sheep netting or 2 lines of steel wire 200mm apart to the upright posts
- use 4mm diameter mild steel or 3.15mm diameter high tensile steel line wire
- ensure the wire is properly strained and fastened with galvanised staples
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Mid Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs of the completed work
Applicants are likely to have to send the following with their application:
- photographs of the lengths of wall you plan to be top-wired
Related Mid Tier items
This supplement can be used on the same length as the following items and supplements:
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 18 September 2017
- Capital item now includes woodland
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- First published.