How much will be paid
Up to 100% of actual costs.
Where to use this item
Available for Higher Tier
- on Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) with ecologically degraded water bodies of 1 hectare or more
- if other land management options are included in the agreement
How this item benefits the environment
It will restore the wildlife value of large water bodies that have become degraded.
- agree a specification for the works with Natural England in year 1 of the agreement
- provide a minimum of 3 written quotations for the completion of the works, identifying associated costs
- agree the selected quotation with Natural England in year 1 of the agreement
- complete the works as set out in the approved specification and within the agreed timescale
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Higher Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is not available
- photographs of the completed work
Before applying for this item applicants should contact the Environment Agency.
Applicants will need to send the following with their application:
- the 3 quotes for completion of the work
- a copy of Environment Agency advice and any permits
- photographs before works commence
- item specification if required
The detailed requirements for this item will be tailored to the Higher Tier site. Higher Tier applicants should discuss and agree these requirements with their adviser.
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this item
The following section gives advice on carrying out this item successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this item.
This item can be used to support the implementation of lake restoration plans. It may also cover one or more of the following:
- water management
- scrub management
- management of invasive non-native species
- fish removal
- bird control