RP23: Installation of livestock drinking troughs (in draining pens for freshly dipped sheep)

Find out about eligibility and requirements for the installation of livestock drinking troughs (in draining pens for freshly dipped sheep) item.

How much will be paid

£68 per unit.

Where to use this item

Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier


  • in areas targeted for the reduction of water pollution from agriculture
  • with support from a Catchment Sensitive Farming (CSF) officer

This item can be used to move a static holding pen used in conjunction with a mobile sheep dip.

Where this item cannot be used

  • in conjunction with the installation of new permanent sheep dip and holding pens on a farm where there are no existing dipping facilities
  • to replace existing equipment in the same location
  • without relevant advice or consents from the Environment Agency or Local Planning Authority

How this item will benefit the environment

This item will install new livestock drinking troughs in relocated sheep dip facilities. Pollution from sheep dips can cause damage to people and aquatic wildlife. Relocating sheep dips and pens can help reduce risk of diffuse water pollution.


  • install the water trough on a level hard base in either the draining pen or a fenced area
  • the trough must be made of galvanised steel, concrete, spray-moulded glass-reinforced cement (GRC) or polyethylene
  • connect the trough to a water supply or supply water from a bowser (if using mains water supply, applicants must comply with the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999)
  • make sure that pipework is medium-density blue polyethylene (with an external diameter of at least 25mm)
  • make sure all joints on the pipework are watertight and made of brass or plastic
  • bury the pipework below cultivation depth, to at least 600mm, or as determined by the local water supplier
  • meet relevant British Standards - examine copies of the most up-to-date standards for guidance

Keeping records

Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:

  • any consents or permissions connected with the work
  • receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
  • please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Mid Tier manual for more detail

Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:

  • photographs of the completed work

Before applying, applicants must seek advice from the EA and Local Planning Authority to check if consent is required to carry out the planned work.

Applicants will have to send the following with their application:

  • a copy of any advice, permit or consent received from the EA or Local Planning Authority
  • photographs of the existing site and current dipping facilities
  • written support from a CSF officer

This item can be used on the same area as the following items:

Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this item

The following section gives advice on carrying out this item successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this item.

Sheep dip, baths and pens

For more details on installing dip baths and pens, and on discharging sheep dip, please refer to RP20 - Relocation of sheep dips and pens, RP21 - Relocation of sheep pens only and RP22 - Sheep dip drainage aprons and sumps.

How to protect the historic environment

This item should not be used:

  • close to a historic farmstead or listed building (get advice on listed building consent)
  • on sites of archaeological or historic importance as identified in the HEFER (get advice on Scheduled Monument consent from Historic England, before using this item on such sites)

Further information

Catchment Sensitive Farming (CSF) operates in parts of the country where there are water quality issues linked to farming. The scheme provides farmers with free advice and training. See guidance for further information on CSF support

See the Mid Tier manual or Higher Tier manual to find out more about the scheme and how to apply.

Published 2 April 2015
Last updated 29 March 2016 + show all updates
  1. Information updated for applications in 2016
  2. First published.