BN8: Hedgerow supplement - casting up
Find out about eligibility and requirements for the hedgerow supplement - casting up item.
How much will be paid
£3 per metre (m).
Where to use this supplement
Available for Mid Tier, Higher Tier and hedgerows and boundaries grant.
Only on hedgerows which are both:
- being restored using options BN5 - Hedgerow laying or BN6 - Hedgerow coppicing
- being cast-up by machine
How this supplement will benefit the environment
If successful there will be lengths of hedgerow which have been re-profiled and had slipped soil replaced.
- cast up the bank to reflect the local style and build it back to its original profile (this must be established by reference to other banks in good condition nearby)
- rebuild the bank using the original soil that has slipped from it
- build each face of the bank so that it slopes inwards (approximately 0.3m for every 1m in height), to create a ‘batter’ (slope)
- make the base of the bank wider than the top by roughly 45cm to 60cm on each side
- ensure the top line of the bank is level with the ground
- make sure that no healthy mature trees are disturbed
- restore any stiles and gates to their original construction
- remove any surplus earth-fill and stones from the site after completion of the work and restore the ground around it
- cast up between 1 March and 31 August
- remove soil from other banks, even if they are derelict
- bury newly laid or coppiced material in deep earth
- damage the roots of trees growing on the bank with machinery
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Mid Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs of the completed work
Applicants will have to send the following with their application:
- photographs of each length of hedge entered into the supplement
Related Mid Tier items
This supplement can be used on the same length as the following items and supplements:
- BN5 - Hedgerow laying
- BN6 - Hedgerow coppicing
- BN7 - Hedgerow gapping-up
- BN10 - Hedgerow supplement - top binding and staking ##Further information
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 29 March 2016
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- First published.