FG9: Deer fencing
Find out about eligibility and requirements for the deer fencing item.
How much will be paid
£7.20 per metre.
Where to use this item
Available for Higher Tier and woodland creation grant.
Only on woodland.
How this item will benefit the environment
It will protect newly created or existing woodland from deer browsing as part of a wider woodland creation or woodland management project.
Agreements holders are likely to need to:
- meet the fence specifications set out in the tables below (and in the Forestry Commission’s technical guide Forest Fencing)
- clear debris from the line of the fence
- make the line of the fence smooth enough that the bottom of the fence sits with the ground (there must be no gaps that deer can enter through)
- make sure the fence is regularly inspected
- maintain the fence so that deer cannot enter the land until the trees are large enough that they no longer need to be protected
Specifications for the fence’s woodwork
|Species of deer||Endposts and turning posts (m by cm)||Struts (m by cm)||Intermediate stakes (m by cm)||Maximum stake spacing (m)|
|Roe||2.8 by 10 to 13||2.5 by 8 to 10||2.5 by 5 to 8||10|
|Muntjac||2.8 by 10 to 13||2.5 by 8 to 10||2.5 by 5 to 8||10|
|Red/sika/fallow||2.8 by 12 to 18||2.5 by 10 to 13||2.6 by 8 to 10||10|
Specifications for the height of the fence and the size of the mesh
|Species of deer||Minimum fence height (m)||Maximum mesh size (mm)|
|Red and sika||1.8||200 by 300|
|Fallow||1.8||200 by 220|
|Roe||1.5||200 by 150|
|Muntjac||1.5||75 by 75|
What the management plan needs to include
If this item is being used on an existing woodland site, the management plan needs to identify that deer are present on the site and are a threat to it. A woodland management plan is not required where this item is being used to protect newly planted trees using capital item TE4 - Supply and plant tree.
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Higher Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs of the completed work
Applicants will need to send the following with their application:
- Forestry Commission Management Plan
The detailed requirements for this item will be tailored to the Higher Tier site. Higher Tier applicants should discuss and agree these requirements with their adviser.
This item can be used on the same area as the following items:
- FG4 - Rabbit fencing supplement
- FG5 - Fencing supplement - difficult sites
- FG14 - Badger gate
- FG15 - Water gates
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 10 March 2017
- Updated for 2017 applications.
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- First published.