Iron Mountain / Recall merger inquiry
- Competition and Markets Authority
- 19 February 2016
- Last updated:
- 13 December 2016, see all updates
- 27 October 2015
- 8 December 2016
- Case type:
- Case state:
- Market sector:
- Distribution and service industries
- Mergers - phase 2 clearance with remedies
The CMA investigated the anticipated acquisition by Iron Mountain Incorporated of Recall Holdings Limited.
Date of referral: 14.1.16
Statutory deadline: 29.6.16
CMA approves sale of C21 Data Services Limited
13 December 2016: On 8 December 2016, the CMA approved the sale by Iron Mountain Incorporated of the entire share capital of C21 Data Services Limited to Offsite Archive Storage & Integrated Services (IRELAND) Ltd.
Remedy group appointed
9 September 2016: The remedy group has been appointed following the CMA’s acceptance of final undertakings from Iron Mountain.
7 September 2016: The CMA has accepted final undertakings from Iron Mountain to remedy the substantial lessening of competition identified in the final report.
- Acceptance of final undertakings from Iron Mountain (7.9.16)
- News story: CMA accepts records management merger undertakings (7.9.16)
Notice of proposal to accept final undertakings
10 August 2016: The CMA gives notice of the proposal to accept final undertakings and is inviting comments by 25 August 2016.
- Notice of proposal to accept final undertakings from Iron Mountain (10.8.16)
- Draft final undertakings from Iron Mountain (10.8.16)
- News story: CMA consults on records management merger undertakings (10.8.16)
- Notice of acceptance of interim undertakings – Iron Mountain fourth set (5.8.16)
- Notice of acceptance and variation of interim undertakings – Iron Mountain third set (5.8.16)
- Notice of consent to make certain exclusions from the requirements in the interim undertakings - Iron Mountain second set (2.6.16)
- Notice of consent under section 78(2) of the Enterprise Act 2002 (12.4.16)
- Notice of acceptance of interim undertakings - Iron Mountain first set (12.4.16)
- Notice of acceptance of interim undertakings - Iron Mountain second set (12.4.16)
- Final report (16.6.16)
- Appendices and glossary (16.6.16)
- Press release: Scottish sales required after records management merger (16.6.16)
Responses to provisional findings
Responses to notice of possible remedies
- Iron Mountain (2.6.16)
4 May 2016: The CMA has provisionally found that Iron Mountain’s anticipated acquisition of Recall could lead to a substantial lessening of competition.
- Provisional findings report (4.5.16)
- Appendices and glossary (4.5.16)
- Notice of provisional findings (4.5.16)
- Notice of possible remedies (4.5.16)
- Press release: Records management merger may require sales (4.5.16)
The publication of the evidence of any party on the CMA’s webpages does not indicate in any way endorsement by the CMA of the views expressed in the evidence or acceptance of that evidence. Publication in this way is designed to assist public understanding of the issues.
As part of its evidence-gathering process, the CMA is holding hearings with a range of industry customers and interested parties.
- Crown Records Management (14.4.16)
- HSBC (14.4.16)
- Shell (14.4.16)
- Talisman-Sinopec Energy UK (14.4.16)
- Barclays (8.4.16)
- CGG (8.4.16)
- KPMG (8.4.16)
The CMA’s merger inquiry is independent and welcomes submissions from all interested parties.
3 February 2016: The issues statement sets out the scope of the investigation. It outlines initial theories on what might be adversely affecting competition, but it does not set out findings or conclusions.
- Issues statement (3.2.16)
- Press release: CMA publishes issues statement in Iron Mountain/Recall merger (3.2.16)
Inquiry group appointed
Terms of reference
14 January 2016: The CMA has referred the anticipated acquisition by Iron Mountain Incorporated of Recall Holdings Limited.
- Terms of reference (14.1.16)
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|5 February 2016||Decision published|
|30 December 2015||Decision announced|
|2 November to 13 November 2015||Invitation to comment|
|2 November 2015||Launch of merger inquiry|
- Reference decision (5.2.16)
- News story: Records and information management services merger referred (14.1.16)
Reference unless undertakings accepted
- Full text decision (5.2.16)
- Press release: Records and information management merger faces in-depth investigation (30.12.15)
Launch of merger inquiry
2 November 2015: The CMA announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
- Commencement of initial period notice (2.11.15)
Published: 19 February 2016
Updated: 13 December 2016
Opened: 27 October 2015
Closed: 8 December 2016
- Approval letter for sale of C21 Data Services Limited published.
- Remedy group appointments added.
- Final undertakings published.
- Notice of proposal to accept undertakings and draft final undertakings published.
- Notices of acceptance of interim undertakings published.
- Final report published.
- Consent notice and responses to provisional findings and notice of possible remedies published.
- Full provisional findings report and notice of possible remedies published.
- Hearing summaries published.
- Acceptance of interim undertakings notices and consent notice published.
- Hearing summaries published.
- Initial submissions published.