Make a claim

You can claim for compensation online.

If the crime happened between 1 August 1964 and 30 September 1979 and you lived with the attacker as a family member at the time of the incident, you can also request someone to call you to start your claim.

When you make a claim to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), you may need to provide:

  • the date and location of the crime
  • the name of the police station where the crime was reported
  • your crime reference number
  • your GP’s name and address
  • your dentist’s name and address (if you had dental treatment because of your injuries)
  • details of any previous applications you’ve made to CICA
  • details of any unspent criminal convictions

You will not be eligible for compensation (or might get less compensation) if you provide information you know is wrong or misleading. You can be prosecuted.

You’ll be asked if you’ve tried to get compensation or other money you’re entitled to, for example:

  • by claiming benefits
  • through insurance payments
  • from a civil court claim
  • from a criminal court case (if the crime went to court)

You do not need to wait for the outcome of other claims before you apply.

It does not cost anything to apply and you do not have to use a legal adviser.

Make a claim

Help making your application

Contact the CICA helpline if you need help because you:

  • do not feel confident using a computer or mobile device
  • do not have internet access

Inside the UK: 0300 003 3601
Outside the UK: +44 (0)203 684 2517
Monday to Friday, 10am to 3pm
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 0300 003 3601
Find out about call charges

You can ask a friend or relative to make an application on your behalf.

General enquiries

Email if you have a question about the claims process.

You cannot claim the cost of using a legal adviser.