1. Overview

You can appeal to a tribunal if you disagree with a decision by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) on your claim for compensation.

You may want to appeal if you are refused compensation or are unhappy with the amount.

The tribunal can:

  • uphold the CICA’s decision
  • increase or reduce your award
  • decide you shouldn’t get anything

You have 90 days to appeal to the tribunal from the date of the CICA’s review decision.

Explain why you’re late if you miss the deadline - eg if you’re waiting for medical reports.

Help and advice

You can represent yourself at the tribunal, but you may want to get help and advice before you appeal.

You can contact:

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.