Claim compensation if you were the victim of a violent crime

If you’re a victim who lived with the attacker before 1 October 1979

You can claim compensation if you were a victim of violent crime and:

  • the crime happened between 1 August 1964 and 30 September 1979
  • you lived with the attacker as a family member at the time of the incident (also called the ‘same roof’ rule)

You have until 12 June 2021 to make a claim.

If you’ve made a claim before

If you’ve made a claim before but it was refused or reduced because of the ‘same roof’ rule you can reapply for compensation. The ‘same roof’ rule does not apply anymore.

How to make a claim

You can request someone to contact you about your claim. You’ll need to give some information like your name and contact details.

A caseworker will contact you within 2 working days or on the next available day you’ve selected on the form.

Request someone to contact you

Other ways to apply

You can make a claim online or on the phone by calling Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). You can also call CICA to arrange a time for someone to take your claim over the phone.

0300 003 360
Outside the UK: +44 (0)203 684 2517
Monday and Tuesday, 8.30am to 5pm
Wednesday, 10am to 5pm
Thursday and Friday, 8.30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges