Childcare Grant


To qualify for a Childcare Grant the following must apply:

  • you’re a full-time student
  • your child must be under 15, or under 17 if they have special educational needs
  • you have a student finance package, or are eligible for one
  • you’re a permanent resident in England
  • the children in your grant application are financially dependent on you
  • your childcare provider is on the Ofsted Early Years Register or General Childcare Register - check with your provider
  • if your child is cared for at home, the carer can’t be a relative and must be registered with an appropriate body - check with Student Finance England

Who can’t apply

You can’t get a Childcare Grant:

  • if you’re a part-time student
  • if you don’t qualify for a student finance package
  • if you’re getting a Postgraduate Loan
  • if you or your partner are claiming the childcare element of Working Tax Credits or the childcare element of Universal Credit
  • if your course started before 1 August 2017 and you or your partner receive help with childcare costs from the National Health Service
  • to cover free childcare - including the free care that all 3 and 4 year olds are entitled to
  • if your child is cared for by a relative or your partner mainly in the child’s home (even if your relative or partner is a registered childminder)