Check you’re eligible before you apply for a Budgeting Loan.

You can apply online or using a paper form. It’s quicker to apply online.

Do not apply if you get Universal Credit, New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance or New Style Employment and Support Allowance. Apply for a Budgeting Advance instead if you get Universal Credit.

There’s a different way to apply for a Budgeting Loan in Northern Ireland.

Apply online

When you apply online, you can choose to get a decision on your loan by either:

  • email
  • text message
  • letter

It’s quicker to get the decision by email or text message and accept it online.

If you’ve already applied and you’re waiting to get a decision, do not apply again. If you need to change details on your application, contact the Social Fund Enquiry Line.

Apply online

Apply using the paper form

You will need to fill in form SF500. You can:

  • download and print the form
  • phone the Social Fund Enquiry Line and ask for a form to be posted to you - allow 7 days for the form to arrive

Return your completed form by post.

Contact the Social Fund Enquiry Line

The line can:

  • make changes to your application after you’ve submitted it

  • post an application form to you

Social Fund Enquiry Line
Telephone: 0800 169 0140
Textphone: 0800 169 286
Welsh language: 0800 169 0240
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 169 0140
British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
Find out about call charges