• The national curriculum

    The English national curriculum means primary and secondary school children study the same subjects to similar standards - it's split into key stages with tests - and the basic school curriculum also includes religious education and sex education

  • Apply for free school meals

    Check if your child is eligible for free school meals on your local council's website

  • School closures

    School closures happen because of an emergency like severe weather - check whether your child's school is closed on your local council website

  • School attendance and absence

    You can be prosecuted if your child has unauthorised absence from school - truancy, help with getting your child to school, and legal action to enforce school attendance

  • School discipline and exclusions

    Schools can punish (discipline) pupils or exclude them - find out what schools are allowed to do, like search pupils for knives or drugs

  • School term and holiday dates

    Find your child's school term, half term and holiday dates on your local council's website

  • After school and holiday clubs

    Ask your council about after school clubs and holiday play schemes run by the school, private or voluntary organisations

  • Apply for a special educational needs assessment

    Apply to the council for a special educational needs (SEN) assessment for your child

  • Become a school or college governor

    Register your application to be a school or college governor - you can help decide how a local school or college is run

  • Bullying at school

    Bullying at school and the law - what your school and the police must do about bullying and how you should report it

  • Check school performance tables

    Get statistics for schools in England, and compare information about performance, pupils, finance, staffing and Ofsted reports - performance tables, league tables

  • Children with special educational needs (SEN)

    Children with special educational needs (SEN) can get the help they need to get an education - school action, statements and assessments

  • Complain about a school

    Complain about a school - complaints process, when to complain to the Department for Education, the Education Funding Agency or Ofsted

  • Education and attendance information from your council

    How your council encourages attendance at school - truancy, unauthorised absences, education welfare officer

  • Health and safety for school children

    Schools are responsible for your child's safety while they're at school or on a school trip

  • Help with school clothing costs

    Financial help to pay for your child's school clothing - school uniform, games kit

  • Illness and your child's education

    What happens if your child can't go to school for health reasons - responsibilities of the local council and school and how medical needs are handled at school

  • Look up your exam timetable

    Exam dates given by AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC for GCSE, GCE A and AS levels, GNVQ, VCE, ELC, AEA, FSMQ and STEP exams

  • School leaving age

    Information on the age you can leave school in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

  • School meals - healthy eating standards

    Food in schools must meet nutritional standards and include high-quality meat, poultry, fish and vegetables so that children have healthy, balanced diets

  • School uniform

    Find out about help with buying uniform, what happens if your child breaks the rules, and what to do if you think the uniform should change