1. Overview

You can apply for help with the costs of further education or university if all of the following are true:

  • one of your parents was killed in service in the armed forces
  • you or a surviving parent are currently receiving bereavement benefits, for example a pension
  • your parent died on or after 1 January 1990
  • you’re 16 or over and in full-time education

You can’t apply if you were the foster child of the person who died.

You can use the money to pay tuition fees and your maintenance for:

  • a further education course of up to 3 years
  • your first undergraduate course at a UK public university - this can include study abroad

You can only get a scholarship to pay for a full-time course.