When you can appeal

Appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal if you disagree with a decision your local authority has made about an education, health and care (EHC) plan.

The process is different if you want to appeal a decision about a special educational needs (SEN) statement or if you’re in Wales.

Who can appeal

You must talk to a mediation adviser before you appeal.

You can appeal as either:

You can appeal if you do not agree with the EHC plan your local authority has made, or if they:

  • refuse to make an EHC assessment or reassessement
  • refuse to create an EHC plan after making an assessment or reassessment
  • refuse to change the sections of an existing EHC plan which are about education (sections B, F and I)
  • decide your child does not need an EHC plan any more

Help you can get

Check if you can get legal aid.

You can also get free help and advice from: