Appeal against an exam result

Skip to contents of guide


You can challenge the results of an exam or qualification if you think it’s wrong.

GCSEs, AS levels or A levels

You can ask your school or college to get an exam result looked at again - this is called requesting a review.

If you’re not satisfied with the outcome, your school or college can make an appeal to Ofqual.

Other qualifications

Ask your school or college to appeal to the awarding organisation about the results for any other qualification, for example a BTEC or an NVQ.

You can appeal directly to the awarding organisation if you’re a private student, for example, if you are home schooled or are a mature student.

The awarding organisation will send you a final report after they’ve reviewed the result.

If you’re not happy with the outcome of the appeal, you can contact Ofqual to make a complaint.

Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

Find out more about the appeals process in: