Types of complaints

There are different ways to complain in England depending on whether your child:

Schools may not consider complaints about behaviour that happens outside the school’s hours or premises.

There are different ways to complain about schools in:

Other types of complaint

For some types of complaint you need to contact a different agency.

Complaint Who to contact
Child protection Local council
Criminal behaviour Police
Data protection Information Commissioner’s Office
Discrimination Equality Advisory and Support Service
Employment An employment tribunal
Exam malpractice or maladministration Ofqual and the awarding body

You can get free legal advice about schooling and education from Child Law Advice.