Report teacher misconduct

Complain to the school, school governors or your local council about teacher misconduct before you make a formal complaint.

Contact the police if you think a child is in immediate danger.

Make an informal complaint

  1. Talk to the child’s school or sixth-form college first to try to solve the problem.

  2. Contact the school’s board of governors or contact the council if you’re not satisfied that your complaint has been resolved.

Anyone can make a complaint about a teacher at a school or sixth-form college, but you’ll need to provide proof to support your complaint.

Read about whistleblowing if you’re a member of staff at a school or sixth-form college.

Make a formal complaint in England

You can make a formal complaint to the Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) if you’re not satisfied with the response to your informal complaint.

Read the teacher misconduct guidance to find out:

  • the kind of cases that can be referred
  • how to make a complaint

Find out about the kind of misconduct that leads to a teacher being banned from teaching.

You should complain about the school if your complaint is about more than one teacher, for example if the school’s not meeting the education or welfare needs of its pupils.

After you’ve complained

TRA will tell you if there will be an investigation or hearing.

You may have to go to a teacher misconduct hearing as a witness.

You can also observe a teacher misconduct hearing.

You can read the outcomes of teacher misconduct hearings.

Make a formal complaint in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland

Report teacher misconduct by: