Book your official practical driving test, riding test or approved driving instructor (ADI) part 2 and 3 tests online. The online service is available between 6am and 11:40pm.
This page is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Start now on the DSA website
You must usually have passed your theory test first.
You won’t be able to take a foreign language interpreter with you on your driving test from 7 April 2014. You’ll have to take the test in English, Welsh or British Sign Language.
You’ll need your:
- Great Britain or Northern Ireland driving licence number
- credit or debit card
If you’re taking a car test and have your driving instructor’s personal reference number you can use this to check they’re available, but can book your test without doing this.
You need to book your test by phone if you need to do an ‘upgrade’ test (eg, automatic to manual transmission test, upgrading from a medium-sized lorry to a large lorry).
DSA booking support
Telephone: 0300 200 11 22
Textphone: 0300 200 11 44
Monday to Friday, 8am to midday
Find out about call charges
When you don’t need a theory test
You don’t need to take a theory test if you’re taking a:
- taxi test
- tractor test
- test to upgrade from automatic to manual
- test to progress through the bike categories (progressive access)
- car and trailer test
- lorry and trailer test
- bus and trailer test
- large lorry test and you’ve already got a medium lorry licence
- large bus test and you’ve already got a medium bus licence
- Takes around 15 minutes
- Debit or credit card required