Report a problem with your new BRP

If there’s a problem with your BRP when it arrives, report it within 10 days. Otherwise you may have to apply and pay for a replacement.

You can report online if your BRP does not arrive.

Mistakes in the length or conditions of your visa

If you applied for your visa from inside the UK, you can ask for an administrative review.

Other problems with your BRP

You can report other problems with your BRP online, for example:

  • there’s a mistake on it, for example your name, gender or date of birth is wrong
  • your BRP was damaged when it arrived

You’ll need to have the following:

  • your BRP number
  • your full name, date of birth and nationality as they appear on your BRP
  • an email or postal address

You can get someone to report the problem for you, for example a legal representative, a charity, employer, college or university.

The Home Office will email you within 5 working days to tell you what to do next. It’ll take longer if you do not give an email address.

Report a problem