If your BRP is lost or stolen

You can report your biometric residence permit (BRP) lost or stolen from inside or outside the UK. You can only order a replacement from inside the UK.

The Home Office will contact you within 1 working day of reporting it.

You can get someone to report for you, for example a legal representative, a charity, employer, college or university.

You will not be able to use your BRP if you find it after you report it lost or stolen.

You’re in the UK

If your lost or stolen BRP was valid for 3 months or more, report it and order a replacement online. You must do this within 3 months of losing it.

You can be fined up to £1,000 and made to leave the UK if you do not apply for a replacement within 3 months.

If your BRP was valid for less than 3 months, you do not have to get a replacement. Report a BRP lost or stolen if you do not need a replacement.

You’re outside the UK

You should report your lost or stolen BRP outside the UK.

You cannot apply for a replacement BRP outside the UK. Instead, you’ll need to get a ‘replacement BRP visa’, which lets you re-enter the UK once only. It costs £154.

Apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa’ online.

If you return to the UK, you must apply for a replacement BRP within 1 month of your return.

If you’re in North Korea you cannot apply for a replacement BRP visa online. Read the guidance for North Korea and use form VAF2 instead.