If driving is not the main part of your job or the vehicle is exempt

You do not need the full Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualification if you’re using the vehicle for:

  • non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods
  • carrying material or equipment you use for your job, as long as driving is less than 30% of your rolling monthly working time
  • driving lessons for anyone who wants to get a driving licence or a Driver CPC
  • driving to or from pre-booked appointments at official vehicle testing centres
  • driving within 62 miles (100 kilometres) of your base - but the vehicle cannot be carrying passengers or goods, and driving a heavy goods vehicle (HGV), bus or coach cannot be your main job
  • maintaining public order - and the vehicle is being used or controlled by a local authority
  • rescue missions or in states of emergency
  • driving for an agriculture, horticulture, forestry, farming or fisheries business, as long as driving is less than 30% of your rolling monthly working time

You also do not need the full Driver CPC if the vehicle is:

  • limited to a top speed of 28mph
  • being used or controlled by the armed forces, police, fire and rescue service, emergency ambulance service, prison service or people running a prison or young offender institution

You can read detailed examples of Driver CPC exemptions.

If you are not sure if you need the Driver CPC, you should seek legal advice.

What you need to do

If you want to become an HGV, bus or coach driver in these situations you need to:

  1. Apply for a provisional HGV or bus licence.

  2. Pass the part 1 (theory), part 3a (off-road exercises) and part 3b (on-road driving) tests.

You need to renew your bus or HGV licence every 5 years when you reach 45 and every year when you reach 65.