Get qualified to drive dangerous goods

To become a dangerous goods (ADR) vehicle driver you need to:

  • train and pass exams to get an ADR driver card
  • complete any additional training you need depending on what dangerous goods you want to carry

If you want to transport dangerous goods in a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) as the main part of your job, you need to be qualified as a HGV driver and have a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC).

If you qualify as an ADR driver, you’ll be able to transport one or more of these dangerous goods:

  • explosives
  • gases
  • flammable liquids
  • flammable solids
  • oxidising substances
  • toxic substances
  • radioactive substances
  • corrosive substances
  • miscellaneous substances

If you need access to fuel terminals, where petroleum products are loaded into tankers, you also need a Petroleum Driver Passport.

You can qualify as an ADR driver even if you have a criminal record - check with your employer what dangerous goods you’ll be allowed to transport.

There’s no minimum time that you need to have had your full HGV driving licence before you can start training for an ADR licence.

If you’re qualifying for the first time

To become a dangerous goods (ADR) vehicle driver you need to:

  1. Find out how to qualify for different types of dangerous goods.

  2. Book a training course.

  3. Take the training and pass the training tests.

  4. Wait to get your ADR card after you’ve qualified - you must have your card to drive any dangerous goods, and keep your details up to date.

  5. Take refresher training and tests to stay qualified - your qualifications only last for 5 years.

Your card will show what dangerous goods you are allowed to carry. You can add extra dangerous goods classes to your ADR driver card at any time by taking optional training modules and tests.

You can update the details on your ADR card, or replace a lost, stolen or damaged card if you need to.

If you have qualified as a driver of dangerous goods before

If you have previous experience as a qualified dangerous goods driver and your card is still valid, you do not need to take the training again.

You’ll still need to do refresher training and exams every 5 years to stay qualified.