Your practical test will last about 90 minutes and include:
- vehicle safety questions
- practical road driving
- off-road exercises
You can book the practical test online.
Vehicle safety questions
You’ll be asked some vehicle safety questions during your test. Download the full list of:
Practical road driving
During your practical road driving, the examiner will see how you:
- use the vehicle controls
- move away at an angle, uphill and downhill
- do a braking test
- use the mirrors
- give appropriate signals
- show awareness and anticipation of other road users’ intentions
- manage your progress and control your vehicle speed
- deal with hazards
- select a safe place to stop
There will also be 10 minutes of independent driving, designed to test your ability to drive safely while making independent decisions.
The off-road exercises will include:
- an ‘S’ shaped reverse into a bay
- showing the uncoupling and re-coupling procedure if you’re taking a test with a trailer
After you’ve taken the practical test your examiner will tell you if you’ve passed and explain how you did.
If you fail, you have to wait 3 clear working days before you can take the test again.
You can apply for a refund of out-of-pocket expenses in some cases if DVSA cancels your test at short notice.