2. Ways to apply and how long it takes
Apply if you’re outside the UK
Follow the process for applying outside the UK if you’re abroad.
Apply if you’re in the UK
- fill in your information online then print and post your form, photos and documents to the address on the form (you can’t use the Passport Check and Send service if you fill in the form online)
- get a paper form from a Post Office that offers the Passport Check and Send service
- contact the Passport Adviceline and get a form posted to you
Online enquiry form
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
Textphone: 0300 222 0222
Text Relay: 18001 0300 222 0000
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm
Find out about call charges
How long it takes
It can take around 6 weeks to get your first UK adult passport, but some applications may take longer.
Filling in the paper form
Fill in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 9. Your countersignatory needs to fill in section 10 and certify your photo.
There’s more help in the booklet that comes with the form.
Send your application
Post your form, photos and documents to the address on the declaration form. You can’t use the Passport Check and Send service.
You can either:
- post your form, photos and documents using the pre-printed envelope that comes with the form
- take your form, photos and documents to the Post Office if you want to use the Passport Check and Send service
What happens after you apply
You can track your passport application.
HM Passport Office will contact you if they need to interview you to confirm your identity .
Getting your passport
Your new passport will be sent to you by courier or Royal Mail. They’ll either:
- post it through your letterbox
- hand it to you if you’re home
- leave a card or post you a letter saying how you can get it (it won’t say the package is your passport)