Fees, ways to apply and how long it takes
A standard adult first passport costs £75.50 if you apply online or £85 to apply with a paper form from the Post Office.
Apply if you’re outside the UK
Follow the process for applying outside the UK if you’re abroad.
Apply if you’re in the UK
You can apply for your first adult passport online or by post.
You must print off your application form and send it to HM Passport Office with your photos and supporting documents. The address is on the form.
You cannot use the Passport Check and Send service if you fill in the form online.
Apply by post
You can apply by post by either:
- getting a paper form from a Post Office that offers the Passport Check and Send service
- contacting the Passport Adviceline to get a form posted to you
Fill in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 9. You need to get someone else, known as your ‘countersignatory’, to fill in section 10 and certify your photo.
Read the booklet that comes with the form if you need help with your application.
To send in your application, you can either:
- post your form, photos and documents using the pre-printed envelope that comes with the form
- take your form, photos and documents to the Post Office if you want to use the Passport Check and Send service
What happens after you apply
You can track your passport application.
HM Passport Office will contact you if they need to interview you to confirm your identity .
Getting your passport
Your new passport will be sent to you by courier or Royal Mail. They’ll either:
- post it through your letterbox
- hand it to you if you’re home
- leave a card or post you a letter saying how you can get it (it will not say the package is your passport)