Most land in England and Wales is registered with general boundaries - exact boundaries can be expensive and complicated to work out.

When a property is registered, Land Registry creates a drawing called a ‘title plan’. This usually only shows the general boundaries of the property, unless the previous owners supplied exact boundary information.

Working out the exact boundary

If you want to set the exact boundary for your land or property, you should:

  1. Get as much information as possible from your title plan, registry documents and other documentation. You may find it useful to find information about neighbouring properties from the Land Registry.

  2. Agree any unclear areas with your neighbours and sign an agreement with them if possible. You can also ask a surveyor or a solicitor for advice during this process.

  3. Get a surveyor to draw up a detailed plan and send this to Land Registry along with the fee, form DB ‘Application to determine the exact line of a boundary’ and any agreements with neighbours.

Neighbour disputes about boundaries

If you send in the forms without a signed agreement, Land Registry will contact your neighbours to check that they’re happy with your plan. If you and your neighbour can’t agree on the exact boundaries at this stage, you may need to get the dispute resolved by the independent Adjudicator to HM Land Registry or in court.

Find out more about title plans and boundaries from the Land Registry..

Registration mistakes

If you think there’s a mistake in your registration, write to the appropriate Land Registry office and explain what’s wrong. You can use the Land Registry finder to find out where to send your letter.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.